Monday, July 27, 2009

Chest Pain and Frustration

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and well rested. I took a trip to safeway with Keagan to get some food for the week and slowly started to develop some odd chest pains. By the end of our trip I was hurting pretty badly. It then dawned on me that I was 2 hours past due on my meds. I don't know exactly what muscles they moved around and what bones they put pressure on, however I feel a great deal of chest pain in my sternum quite often. My best educated guess is pain radiating from my removed rib.?.

Anyway, after I took my meds and rested for a few minutes the pain slowly went away and I'm feeling rather good at the moment. John Perry, my good friend, came over today for lunch. Again, off to Mr. Pickles (my favorite) for lunch and returned to the house for a nice talk. I feel like I'm making good gains physically and mentally during this recovery mostly because I'm not bottling up any frustrations I have. Keagan has been my shoulder to cry on and is always willing to listen to my complaints. John brings something else to the table though, he is not worried about telling me like it is and I truly appreciate that.

Prior to this surgery I felt like the majority of my frustrations came from financial issues (i.e. paying off my student loans). After having experienced this and now looking back, I feel like these big frustrations that I had have been reduced dramatically. At no point did I ever feel like my life was in danger during the surgery nor do I feel like I had this life changing experience. I feel like I simply see things in a different prospective now. Health and family come first over all and everything else follows behind. I feel blessed to be on my way to recovery and to have such a fantastic support team (my family and all my friends) helping me through this chapter of my life.

I'm ready to get back to work and have put in a request to my Doctor to allow me to return to work on Thursday morning (30th). I have not heard anything back yet and I'll let you all know once I do. Any day, from this point forward, that I feel unhappy or unmotivated about going to work I'm going to reflect on my first two days returning home from the hospital and remember how I felt then. I am grateful for my job and am ready to get back at it. I miss my clients and co workers, I miss the noise of the weights, the feel of the pull up bar, and I even miss my little closet office and the noise of the basketballs bouncing. I'm still not 100% and feel that it will take me three or four months of rehab to get to that point. However I do believe that returning to work will boost my moral and assist me in healing even faster.

Thank you for reading and I hope to see you soon.

- Robert

1 comment:

  1. You need a timer for your meds! HAHA. I am sorry that you were in pain. Remember this too shall pass. You are so lucky to have such a great wife she deffinatly is a keeper!if you want I can come over and throw some weights on the floor!
    See you soon!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete